• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Thumb Laceration

Venrak

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys,

I've lacerated the back of my thumb three days ago pretty bad from the right side of the first knuckle to the left side of the second.

It was open about half an inch and I could see all the inner workings of my thumb, but I got it closed by binding it after washing it out and stopping the bleeding. The only thing is that I'm sure severed the tendon on the right of my thumb, the one that sicks out when you give a thumbs up, seeing as how I can't give one. I can't extend the end of my thumb to give one, if you know what I mean.

For those of you wondering why I hadn't gone to get it fixed yet, I'm going tonight, in about eight hours.

But my question is if time was a factor in all this. I'm not too keen on doctors in the panic disorder kinda way and if it's too late by now, I'd rather take care of the rest on my own with a suture kit and a trusted friend, under sedation.

I'd get it checked first to see if theres any internal damage or anything that could hurt you in the future.

Yeh, that's what I'm going to do I guess. I'm just wondering it it's too late. I can live with this. I wonder if I could get them to dose me with lorazepam before any poking around...or if I'd just come off sounding like a druggie. I'm getting anxious just thinking about it.

-Edit- I just realized this should be in Second Opinions. Oops.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's not too late for them to repair the tendon…I sliced mine and didn't get it treated for a few days and all is well. It healed fine, altho there's a bit of scar tissue.

I have the same problem asking for a sedative before procedures. The medical team should respect your anxiety. Make it very plain that even going to the doctor gives you a panic attack. You might even tell them that you considered treating yourself at home because your doctor-related anxiety is so debilitating. If you're like me your blood pressure will already have risen, your heart will be pounding and those are legitimate symptoms that back up your claim.

You deserve to be treated compassionately. Good luck with your surgery and get that sedative.

Thanks man for the reassurance. Yeah, my heart rate is high, even now. I really fucking hate doctors and such. Thanks for your replies guys. I just want to get this over with.

Eh, I'm leaving right now actually... Hopefully I'll get treated quickly.

And that I'll move again as I once did, heh.